As a member of Santander’s retail banking division, you’ll help serve Santander’s retail and small business customers as part of one of the top banks in the United States based on deposits. With its principal presence in the Northeast U.S., Santander’s retail division offers consumer and lending products to help our customers reach their financial goals. Santander currently serves nearly 2 million retail customers and 5.2% of the 2.7 million small businesses in the US footprint have a transactional account with Santander Bank.
The Collections Representative is responsible for the collection of past-due consumer loans, overdrafts, and credit card accounts via telephone contact with our customers.
- Resolving customer issues with regard to their outstanding balances
- Negotiating repayment terms with customers in accordance with bank guidelines.
- Working in a Call Center environment taking inbound calls and making outbound collection calls – 150 calls per day
- Identifying customer service issues and routing them to the appropriate area for resolution
- Providing first-tier support to resolve customer service issues
- Using skip tracing techniques to locate and contact customers
- Advising customers of their payment responsibilities under the terms of the contract
- Providing individual loan counseling on acceptable repayment terms
- Communicating with other departments regarding special circumstances on customer accounts
- Setting up arrangements for repayment on past due accounts
- Updating customer information on accounts
- Working through customer collection issues
- Performing other functions as assigned by management
- Banking, Collections, or Customer Service Call Center experience preferred.
- Work independently as well as part of a team to meet common objectives.
- Basic computer and data entry skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Seek information to understand customer needs.
- Communicate clearly and precisely.
- Listen carefully and ask questions to clarify understanding.
- Define issues accurately and identify the critical components.
- Demonstrate the organization's customer service standards.
- Able to change direction as project demand dictates.
- Comfortable with change and can alter tasks with guidance.
- Ask questions to understand the impact of changes on one's own job.
- Maintain professional behavior at all times in representing the company.
- Does all routine work accurately and on-time; is aware of their own impact on others.
- Understand the central role the risk management function plays in the organization environment.
- Respond to internal and external requests as needed.
- Adhere to policies, procedures, and instructions of management.
- Learn to identify and flag items non-compliant with regulations.
- Support multiple teams simultaneously.
- Function as a team player.
- Work effectively in team settings.
- Show appreciation for others' help and lend a hand when needed to complete shared tasks.
EDUCATION - High School Diploma or GED - 0-3 years of professional work experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - Minimal physical effort such as sitting, standing, and walking.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.