POSITION SUMMARY –
The Director of Portfolio Management, Small Business is responsible for effective credit and risk administration with particular emphasis on adherence to credit policy and procedures, risk controls, risk evaluation, ongoing portfolio management activities, and working closely with business partners
- Will review, analyze, and evaluate risks in order to renew existing business or generate new accounts.
- Determines appropriate terms and conditions for coverages and rates for program profitability.
- Contributes to the profitable growth of specific program(s) by maintaining pricing integrity, product excellence, and the development of meaningful performance metrics and controls.
- Manages risk in the Small Business Banking portfolio.
- Develops and implements strategies to oversee and control risks and manages potential problem credits.
- Manages a team of Portfolio Managers and creates and implements goals and measures the same to oversee productivity and efficiencies.
- Controls and delegates the overall workflow for the team.
- Administers and monitors underwriting rules and guidelines, laws, and regulations.
- May review books of business as well as profit/growth results and trends to recommend and implement action plans.
RESPONSIBILITY STATEMENTS -
- Oversees monitoring activities including a Behavioral scoring model and other standard alerts and risk controls to effectively manage the risk in the Small Business Banking portfolio.
- Ensures overall portfolio performance and asset quality remains strong and is able to independently address and develop strategies and actions to resolve issues that could increase risk and/or create a loss for the Company.
- Interacts with Senior Management, Sales Team, Credit Products Officer, Credit Officer Workout team, in order to discuss and resolve risk-related issues.
- Manages, coaches, and trains both individual contributors and people managers across Credit Underwriting and Portfolio Management teams.
- Tracks and drives forward key performance metrics around portfolio management, underwriting standards, and consistency with credit policy, as well as collections activities and effectiveness.
- Leverages tools to improve processes for portfolio efficiency.
- Evaluating and implementing strategies to create efficiencies and speed.
- Reviewing, analyzing, and evaluating risks in order to renew existing business relationships or expand them
- Contributing to profitable growth through the development and inspection of meaningful performance metrics and controls
- Developing and implementing strategies to manage potential problem credits
- Ensuring consistent credit reviews that perform well against quality assurance and quality control testing
- Working closely with other Credit Operations teams to ensure appropriate policies and procedures are in place and being adhered to consistently.
- REQUIRED - Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Business, Accounting, or other equivalent fields.
- PREFERRED - Master's Degree in Finance, Business, Economics Accounting, or other equivalent fields.
WORK EXPERIENCE -
- 9-12 years - Experience and exhibited competency in various aspects of commercial lending, portfolio management including financial analysis and credit structuring, understanding and applying credit policy, and credit monitoring and risk administration practices.
- 9-12 years - Credit and commercial loan Workout experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES -
- Ability to effectively manage a team of 8- 12 Small Business Portfolio Managers
- Ability to manage a commercial loan portfolio on an exception basis using applicable portfolio management models and tools.
- Skilled in proposing and negotiating and approving credit and covenant structures.
- Ability to demonstrate practical and conceptual knowledge of credit and risk analysis
- General knowledge in financial modeling and able to structure credit in a modeling environment
- Exhibits competency at independently reaching conclusions and forms a clear view of credit structure and business risk.
- Thorough understanding of industry nuances applicable to the credits contained within the group’s portfolio
- Thorough knowledge of loan and related legal documents
- Strong communication skills; and ability to influence others by presenting thoughts and ideas to gain commitment and agreement for proposed ideas and solutions
- Spreadsheet modeling and presentation skills
- Advanced knowledge of different financial modeling systems and ability to coach others on the use of internal systems preferred.
- Systems include nCino, Salesforce, AFS Commercial Loan system, and other applicable systems and tools.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - Minimal physical effort such as sitting, standing, and walking.
Relationship Management -
- Improves relationships between key individuals to achieve seamless cross-team workflow and positively impact results
- Uses informal networks to gain support for ideas and projects
- Brings out the best in each team member by consistently motivating and acknowledging peer contributions
- Understands and leverages team dynamics
Customer Understanding -
- Stays up-to-date with needs, preferences, trends, and practices which impact customers
- Acts as a role model by being a source of advice and knowledge regarding customer issues
Issue Ownership -
- Takes responsibility for and deals effectively with complex and sensitive customer issues and complaints
- Anticipates customer needs and proactively makes recommendations
- Fully accountable for the timeliness, completeness, quality of projects, processes, products, and services
- Remains calm and focused on goals while facing pressures, obstacles, or short-term setbacks
Two-way Communication -
- Effectively conveys difficult or complex information in an easy to understand manner, by providing the big picture and illustrating important linkages
- Asks open-ended questions that encourage others to give their points of view
Problem Identification -
- Reformulates the problem in different ways to evaluate it from different angles
- Ensures required resources and skills are in place to maintain smooth day-to-day operations and tackle arising problems
Industry Acumen -
- Keeps up-to-date with external market events, pressures, and regulations which may impact the organization and assess whether similar issues exist in the organization
- Can identify functional and organizational implications associated with major trends
- Designs solutions to address industry activities that impact the organization
Continuous Process Improvement -
- Designs, develops, and drives the adoption of risk management policies, processes, and procedures
- Applies advanced skills in operational processes and uses them to improve work efficiency and quality
Risk and Compliance -
- Ensures that all direct reports and colleagues have appropriate knowledge of risk and the regulatory environment
- Investigates and identifies the root cause and corrects items deemed non-compliant, regardless of pressures from business or management
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.